
I had a meeting with my five year old's Kindergarten teacher yesterday. She wanted to "dicuss" some of her opinions and observations with me. This was our second confernece, we had one back in the fall after his first report card and this one to follow up on his second. (yes, you get report cards in kindergarten) Both meetings focused on Colin's shyness and his lack of self confidence and not on his performance. And how she feels another year of kindergarten might be the right thing for him to help him come out of his shell. Colin is getting an S (satisfactory) or O (outstanding) in all academic subjects and he never misbehaves at school. Literally he has NEVER gotten in trouble with his teacher in fact during our meeting in the fall she told me she wished he would get in trouble from time to time. (huh)
I guess the point in my post (other than to vent over my frustration) is that we are not all alike nor should we be. We did not all come from the same cookie cutter. What is normal for one is abnormal for another. It is okay that Colin is not a social buttterfly, if he was he would not be Colin. I know my son, he is not going to wake up one day and suddenly be the life of the party. Why in the world would I hold my child back when academically he is doing and can do everything they are asking of him.
1 comment:
Okay you didn't ask for it but you can get my teacher perspective on this...As a teacher I would not hold the child back in kindergartner back if their were performing well academically and they were not a behavior problem. I had a student this year that I sent back to kindergarten because they were performing poorly and were very immature. I would let him go on and if behavior or academics became a problem them hold him back. Holding him back now while he is doing well I think would crush him emotionally.
Post a Comment